NEW YORK (Stockpickr) -- Big vs. Small. That's the debate investors often face as they try to figure if large-cap stocks or small-cap stocks represent the best opportunity to make money.
For some, the debate is moot. Instead, they seek out good investments in the "tweener" crowd: mid-cap stocks. The logic is pretty straightforward. Large-cap stocks tend to have a high degree of foreign exposure -- especially in Europe. And small-caps can prove to be a dangerous group if the markets get choppy. Investors tend to flee these smaller company stocks whenever fresh economic concerns arise.
Mid-cap stocks, on the other hand, have less international exposure than large-cap stocks but less volatility than small-cap stocks. Conveniently, the folks at Standard & Poors make it easy for us. They lump the top large-cap stocks into the S&P 500, the most mature small-cap stocks into the S&P 600, and the "Goldlilocks" of the group, mid-caps, into the S&P 400.Running through all of the members of the mid-cap index, a clear theme emerges: Many high-quality companies offer very juicy dividend yields. That's a real virtue in an era when traditional fixed investments like government bonds offer miniscule payouts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV