Federal Income Tax
The increase in the Company’s effective tax rate reflects the establishment of a valuation allowance against all of the deferred tax assets generated during the fourth quarter of 2011. The Company’s deferred tax liability balance is at levels that will continue to require a valuation reserve on all future deferred tax assets.
The results from the Company’s investment in 50% or less owned ventures decreased in the three months ended December 31, 2011, when compared to the same period in 2010. The 2010 results reflect a non-recurring income tax benefit of $3.9 million as well as the results of Dry Bulk which was purchased earlier in 2011. The 2011 fourth quarter results reflect the results of our investment in the Mini-Bulk Venture.Balance Sheet The Company’s working capital at December 31, 2011, was approximately $19.3 million, an improvement of $7.5 million from September 30, 2011. This was primarily driven by a temporary draw from the Company’s line of credit of $9.5 million which was repaid during January of 2012. Cash, cash equivalents, and restricted cash was approximately $30.3 million at 2011 year end. The restricted cash balance of approximately $8.9 million was used to reduce the balance of the Yen-denominated loan during January, 2012. During the three month period ended December 31, 2011, the Company finalized its equity investment in the multi-purpose ice strengthened vessel placed on charter to the Military Sealift Command in January, 2012. The additional contribution in the quarter was approximately $3.5 million. The Company generated approximately $15.4 million in cash from its operating activities while paying debt principal of approximately $8.8 million over the quarter. Dividend Declaration The Company’s Board of Directors authorized the payment of a $0.375 dividend for each share of common stock owned on the record date of February 15, 2012, payable on March 1, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV