1. BB&T Corp. (BBT)
BB&T saw a 33% gain in market share, comparing the fourth quarter of 2011 to all of 2010. During the quarter it captured 2.1% of the total market, according to the FBR report.BB&T Chairman and CEO Kelly King noted that "the pace of growth accelerated during the quarter," while highlighting mortgage banking, along with commercial and industrial loans and the bank's "Direct Retail," business as among the chief drivers. Mortgage banking income was up in the fourth quarter to $135 million compared to $123 million last quarter, a gain CFO Daryl Bible attributed to "higher production volume and larger gains on sales," in comments during the fourth quarter earnings call. BB& T "should be set up to continue growing earnings over the next few years as charge-offs normalize and as the company starts to return capital to shareholders," wrote FBR's Miller in a report published Jan. 20. He has a market perform on the stock, however, arguing the shares are fairly valued versus peers. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV