The President also called on the FHFA to streamline the refinancing process for GSE borrowers including eliminating appraisal costs for all borrowers.
The proposal has already been panned by critics as "dead on arrival."
Observers say the plan is unlikely to get Congressional approval as Republicans are unlikely to support a bank tax and are against further government intervention in housing.
On the flip side, key electoral battleground states in Florida, Nevada and Arizona have been worst affected by the housing bust, making policies directed at underwater borrowers a key issue heading into the Presidential elections."While the government cannot fix the housing market on its own, the President believes that responsible homeowners should not have to sit and wait for the market to hit bottom to get relief when there are measures at hand that can make a meaningful difference, including allowing these homeowners to save thousands of dollars by refinancing at today's low interest rates," the White House said in a statement. Shares of the biggest mortgage originators including Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Wells Fargo (WFC) were gaining 3.9%, 1.4% and 3% respectively in afternoon trading. Wells Fargo is expected to benefit most from a refinancing wave as it has maintained share in the mortgage origination market while Bank of America and JPMorgan have trimmed their presence. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV