The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
BEIJING (TheStreet) -- Shares of Amazon.com (AMZN) slid as much as 10% in afterhours trading following its release of disappointing fourth-quarter results on Tuesday. The AMZN selloff led shares of Ecommerce China DangDang (DANG) to fall by 3% to 4% in afterhours, after it was already down by more than 10% during the regular trading session. The question for investors is: what conclusions about DANG can we draw from AMZN.
DANG is often referred to as "The Amazon of China." I have frequently disagreed with this label because ecommerce in China is not dominated by one behemoth like AMZN, but instead is split between a number of substantial competitors. DANG probably ranks about third or fourth based on traffic and revenue (coming in behind such non-listed names as Taobao and 360Buy.com). The reason that Wall Street refers to DANG as the Amazon of China is that we don't really have any other U.S.-listed alternative, so we are stuck playing with the third- or fourth-place player. In the competitive world of ecommerce, there is likely to be no prize for coming in fourth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV