The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
BEIJING (TheStreet) -- Shares of Amazon.com (AMZN) slid as much as 10% in afterhours trading following its release of disappointing fourth-quarter results on Tuesday. The AMZN selloff led shares of Ecommerce China DangDang (DANG) to fall by 3% to 4% in afterhours, after it was already down by more than 10% during the regular trading session. The question for investors is: what conclusions about DANG can we draw from AMZN.
DANG is often referred to as "The Amazon of China." I have frequently disagreed with this label because ecommerce in China is not dominated by one behemoth like AMZN, but instead is split between a number of substantial competitors. DANG probably ranks about third or fourth based on traffic and revenue (coming in behind such non-listed names as Taobao and 360Buy.com). The reason that Wall Street refers to DANG as the Amazon of China is that we don't really have any other U.S.-listed alternative, so we are stuck playing with the third- or fourth-place player. In the competitive world of ecommerce, there is likely to be no prize for coming in fourth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV