For the first quarter, Amazon forecast sales of $12 billion to $13.4 billion, and operating results between a loss of $200 million and a profit of $100 million, "or between 162% decline and 69% decline compared with first quarter 2011."
The current average analysts' estimate is for earnings of 33 cents a share in the first quarter on sales of $13.41 billion.
The stock was last quoted at $177.50, down 8.7%, on volume of more than 4.4 million, according to Nasdaq.com.
Check out TheStreet's quote page for Amazon for year-to-date share performance, analyst ratings, earnings estimates and much more.Other stocks moving in late trades included Seagate Technology (STX), which added 6.1% to $22.35 on volume of 1.3 million after the hard drive maker delivered an above-consensus profit for its latest quarter; JDA Software (JDAS), which lost nearly 10% to $26.60 on volume of more than 30,000 after the supply chain management software company said it's received a request for information related to its revenue recognition and other accounting matters from the Securities and Exchange Commission; and Key Tronic (KTCC), which jumped 28.3% to $8 on volume of more than 60,000 after the provider of electronics manufacturing services reported fiscal second-quarter earnings of $3.2 million, or 30 cents a share, on revenue of $84.5 million, up from a year-ago equivalent profit of $1.7 million, or 17 cents a share, on revenue of $61 million. -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV