VENLO, The Netherlands, January 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
- Strong performance in fourth quarter of 2011: Net sales increase 17% (+17% CER) to $334.4 million on double-digit growth across all regions; adjusted EPS rises 19% to $0.31
- Significant progress on strategic initiatives to drive growth and innovation:
- Driving platform success: More than 550 QIAsymphony systems installed by year-end 2011 with a strong pipeline for 2012; QIAensemble Decapper automation unit launched
- Adding content: Expanding biomarker portfolio in Personalized Healthcare; products from Cellestis and Ipsogen acquisitions contribute to growth in second half of 2011
- Broadening geographic presence: Dynamic expansion in high-growth markets
- Growing effectively: Efficiency project launched in late 2011 with pre-tax savings goal of $50 million in 2012, reallocating resources to drive adjusted margin growth in 2013
- QIAGEN expects to deliver sales and adjusted earnings growth at a faster pace in 2012
QIAGEN N.V. (NASDAQ: QGEN; Frankfurt Prime Standard: QIA) has announced results of operations for the fourth quarter and full-year 2011, making significant progress on strategic initiatives to drive growth and innovation.
Net sales in the fourth quarter advanced 17% (+17% at constant exchange rates, or CER) to $334.4 million from the fourth quarter of 2010. Adjusted operating income in the quarter grew 16% to $95.6 million compared to the fourth quarter of 2010 as the adjusted operating income margin was steady at 29% of net sales. Adjusted diluted earnings per share (EPS) rose to $0.31 in the fourth quarter of 2011 from $0.26 in the same quarter of 2010. Results for the fourth quarter of 2011 included a restructuring charge of $75 million for a project announced in November to enhance productivity by streamlining the organization and freeing up resources for reallocation to strategic initiatives.
Full-year 2011 net sales rose 8% (+4% CER) to $1,169.7 million from $1,087.4 million in 2010. Adjusted operating income in 2011 was up 4% to $319.6 million from $308.2 million a year earlier, while adjusted diluted EPS were $0.98 compared to $0.93 in 2010."We are pleased with our performance in the fourth quarter of 2011, ending the year with strong growth in all areas of our business. We made significant progress in 2011 on our strategic initiatives, delivering growth at a faster pace in the second half of the year while increasing sales in Molecular Diagnostics, Applied Testing, Pharma and Academia. In particular, we are expanding our leadership in Personalized Healthcare and setting new standards for laboratory automation with the successful QIAsymphony system rollout," said Peer Schatz, Chief Executive Officer of QIAGEN N.V. "With the positive momentum we are experiencing, we expect to accelerate growth to a faster pace in 2012 than in 2011 while taking a conservative view on macroeconomic challenges and on the budget funding environment. As we intensify our focus on growth areas across all of our customer classes, we look forward to building momentum and advancing QIAGEN's position in 2012 as a global leader in molecular technologies." Fourth quarter 2011 results
Fourth Quarter 2011 Change In $ millions, except per share information Q4 2011 Q4 2010 $ CER Net sales 334.4 286.0 17% 17% Operating income, adjusted 95.6 82.4 16% Net income, adjusted 73.6 62.0 19% EPS, adjusted ($) 0.31 0.26 For information on the adjusted figures, please refer to the reconciliation table accompanying this release.Net sales grew 17% to $334.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 from $286.0 million in the 2010 quarter. Total sales rose 17% CER, with organic growth contributing 11 percentage points and the contributions of Cellestis (as of August 29) and Ipsogen (as of July 12) providing six percentage points. Currency movements had no net impact on the reported sales growth. Operating income for the fourth quarter of 2011, which included a restructuring charge of $75 million, amounted to a loss of $19.6 million, compared to income of $50.8 million in the same period of 2010. Adjusted operating income, which excludes one-time items, equity-based compensation and the amortization of intangible assets, rose 16% to $95.6 million from $82.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2010. Net loss attributable to owners of QIAGEN N.V. was $0.4 million compared to net income of $36.3 million in the fourth quarter of 2010, while adjusted net income attributable to owners of QIAGEN N.V. rose 19% to $73.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 from $62.0 million in the year-earlier period. Diluted EPS in the fourth quarter of 2011 were $0.00 (based on 236.7 million diluted shares) compared to $0.15 in the same period of 2010 (based on 239.4 million diluted shares). Adjusted diluted EPS were $0.31 compared to $0.26 in the same quarter of 2010. Reconciliations of reported results in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to adjusted results are included in the tables accompanying this release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV