In that case, of course, you want in on the deal, because you might get a double. But the way the deal works to get from, say $50 billion to $100 billion, is to cut back everyone so shares will be very tough to obtain. That's what happened with LinkedIn (LNKD).
Of course, they could do it the other way and price the deal at its fullest, betting that retail investors will go nuts, a la 1999 to 2000, and take it to a level that's pretty crazed. That's what happened with Groupon (GRPN) at its best -- in that you still got a pop -- or Zynga (ZNGA), which shows mispricing at its worst.
Either way, there's no way to determine which route the bankers will take until we get closer to the deal. It's the amount of shares, not the valuation, that will control. Don't make a move until we hear the number. That's what will let you know whether to put in, whether to hold, or whether to flip the Facebook shares.
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV