WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- U.S. stocks are trending lower today after a disappointing reading on U.S. consumer confidence kept buyers at bay who were initially bullish on hopes for a European Union pact on their sovereign debt problems.
The Conference Board's index of U.S. consumer confidence in January hit 61.1 from a revised 64.8 in December, which is well below the 68.0 reading that Wall Street analysts' were expecting.
At last check, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was trading lower by 54 points and the S&P 500 was off by around 4 points. The tech-heavy Nasdaq was trending down 6 points. Despite the weakness in equity markets today, all three major index are trading within range of some major breakout levels. For the Dow, that level is 12,841.95, and for the S&P 500, it sits at 1333.47. The key technical breakout level for the Nasdaq is 2834.30.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV