NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The transports fumbled through the second half of 2011 as macroeconomic headwinds weighed heavily on global growth prospects. In the New Year, however, this slice of the industrials sector appears to have gathered some steam.
In the opening month of 2012, shares of the iShares Dow Jones Transportation Average Index Fund (IYT) have risen 6% year to date, nearly double the broader SPDR Dow Jones Industrial Average Index ETF (DIA).
IYT's performance has been impressive and encouraging, an given its historical performance, the party my not be over just yet. While February is traditionally a tricky time for U.S. stocks, transports have historically held up well compared to the benchmark S&P 500 index.
In addition, top industry representatives are also painting a promising picture for IYT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV