Lam Research is another chip-equipment name to watch, outperforming competitor KLA-Tencor in 2012, up 15.8%.
Last week, Lam Research reported earnings of 34 cents per share on $584 million in revenue. Analysts expected Lam Research to earn 30 cents per share on revenue of $571.7 million.The company is in the process of acquiring Novellus Systems (NVLS), which it announced in December. The eventual merger between Novellus and Lam should drive synergies in chip equipment making, and allow for these companies to command higher prices for their products. Morningstar analyst Andy Ng analyst wrote in a research note Lam is one of the more impressive chip equipment companies he covers, as it has been gaining market share in both etch and clean markets. Etch is the step in where circuits are formed by selectively removing material. Ng also noted that the company has been among the most profitable firms in its industry, thanks to its flexible and efficient manufacturing model. He has a fair value of $40 on Lam Research. Stifel Nicolaus analyst Patrick J. Ho noted that due to strong earnings results from Samsung, this should benefit Lam Research, as Ho estimates 20%-25% of Lam's revenue comes from Samsung. He has a buy rating and a $60 price target on shares of Lam Research.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV