VANCOUVER, Wash., Jan. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Barrett Business Services, Inc. (BBSI) (NASDAQ: BBSI) announced today that it continues to be willing to act upon a request for a special meeting of stockholders by Kimberly J. Jacobsen Sherertz and her group if BBSI receives a request that complies with Maryland law and BBSI's bylaws.
Anthony Meeker, BBSI's chairman of the board, emphasized, "Contrary to Ms. Sherertz's most recent SEC filing, the Board has never stated, publicly or privately, that it will not call a special meeting of stockholders. In fact, management and the Board have been diligently preparing for such a meeting in light of repeated statements by Ms. Sherertz's attorneys, as recently as last Friday, that a revised request from holders of record of the required percentage of shares would be submitted shortly. Especially in light of the significant time, expense and distraction involved in holding a special stockholders meeting, the Board must assure that all legal requirements have been met consistent with its duty to act in accordance with the law and in the best interests of the company."
Mr. Meeker continued, "We must conclude from yesterday's 13D filing either that Ms. Sherertz is unable to produce the required documentation described in our counsel's
January 13 letter to her attorneys or that she and her advisers have decided to drop their request for a special meeting for other reasons. For them to act as if we denied a valid request is misleading to our other shareholders."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV