Through their collaborative arrangement, SimVentures, HealthStream, Inc. (NASDAQ: HSTM), a leading provider of learning and research solutions for the healthcare industry, and Laerdal Medical (“Laerdal”), a global leader in the provision of educational solutions for healthcare providers and educators, today announced the launch of SimView™. SimView enables users of advanced patient simulators to easily capture simulation video, audio, data logs, and “patient” responses, creating a powerful debriefing tool to optimize learning. SimView is being debuted in San Diego, California at the International Meeting for Simulation in Healthcare, which is being held January 27 – February 1, 2012.
“We are very happy to introduce our new debriefing system, SimView, to healthcare providers as they reap the added benefits of its integration with SimCenter, our comprehensive simulation management platform,” said Tor Morten Osmundsen, Chief Executive Officer, Laerdal Medical. “Whether training one-on-one, in a group, or watching and learning from training sessions of others—both live and recorded, SimView provides everyone involved with an objective, data-rich way to get more from simulation-based training.”
Debriefing is a critical part of simulation-based education, and it is made more effective with SimView, the next generation debriefing tool that was built from Laerdal’s original Advanced Video System (AVS) product. The new debriefing system provides robust tools to accurately replay scenarios where students worked with patient simulators—showing what actually occurred, as opposed to perceptions of what occurred. SimView automatically integrates data from up to four video cameras, a microphone, and patient monitoring with the event log from the advanced patient simulator. Instructors can add comments to the log during a scenario and can easily manage the delivery, storage, and distribution of the debriefing files.
Some of the capabilities of SimView include:
- Captures simulation events with four IP or analog cameras, a microphone, and a computer
- Captures video, audio, data logs, and “patient” vital signs and then replays scenarios with instructor annotations
- Creates a single, time-indexed debriefing file for effective evaluation
- Enables viewing of live events while monitoring vital signs, annotating in real-time
- Provides robust evaluation capabilities via embedded tools and assessment templates
- Integrates with SimCenter product suite, including SimStore, SimDeveloper, and SimManager