Company profile: Manulife is the largest Canadian life insurer by market value. It provides financial protection and wealth-management products and services to individual and group customers. It operates in the U.S. under the name John Hancock and also does a strong business in Asia.Investor takeaway: Down 35% in 2011, Manulife's stock is up 12% this year. Analysts give its shares one "buy/hold" and two "hold," ratings, according to an S&P survey.
JPMorgan Chase (JPM) Company profile: JPMorgan Chase is one of the largest financial institutions in the U.S., with more than $2 trillion in assets and operations in more than 60 countries. Investor takeaway: JPMorgan Chase fell 20% last year, and its shares are up 13% this year. S&P said the firm's fourth-quarter results "were adversely affected by trading revenues of only $750 million, down sharply from an average of $2.8 billion in the prior four quarters, due to risk aversion on the part of corporate customers." But analysts' consensus is for earnings of $4.70 per share this year, with growth of 14% in 2013. A survey of analysts by S&P found 18 "buys," nine "buy/holds," and five "holds."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV