Reinsurance Group of America, Incorporated (NYSE:RGA), a leading global provider of life reinsurance, reported fourth-quarter net income of $158.5 million, or $2.15 per diluted share, compared to $196.7 million, or $2.62 per diluted share in the prior-year quarter. Operating income* totaled $140.7 million, or $1.91 per diluted share, compared to $161.4 million, or $2.15 per diluted share in the year-ago quarter.
|Quarterly Results||Year-to-Date Results|
|($ in thousands, except per share data)||
|Net income per diluted share||2.15||2.62||8.09||7.69|
|Operating income per diluted share*||1.91||2.15||7.28||6.75|
|Book value per share||83.65||68.71|
Book value per share (excl. Accumulated Other Comprehensive Income “AOCI”)*
* See ‘Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures’ below
Net income for the year increased to $599.6 million, or $8.09 per diluted share, from $574.4 million, or $7.69 per diluted share, in 2010. Operating income* totaled $539.2 million, or $7.28 per diluted share, compared with $504.0 million, or $6.75 per diluted share, the year before. Both measures benefited from lower effective tax rates. Net foreign currency fluctuations increased 2011 operating income per diluted share by $0.13, including $0.05 in the Canadian segment. Net premiums increased $676.0 million, or 10 percent, including the effects of currency fluctuations and 8 percent without them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV