Pacific Capital Bancorp Reports Strong Fourth Quarter 2011 Results
Pacific Capital Bancorp (Nasdaq:PCBC), a community bank holding company and parent of Santa Barbara Bank & Trust, reported net income of $12.3 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, for the three months ended December 31, 2011, compared with $20.5 million, or $0.62 per diluted share, for the three months ended September 30, 2011. Fourth quarter earnings results were impacted by a one-time, non-cash charge of $4.7 million related to the early redemption of $35.0 million in subordinated debt and a $3.9 million increase in the estimated earnout liability associated with final payments for the purchase of the Company’s two registered investment advisor subsidiaries.
This brings total net income to $96.3 million, or $2.99 per diluted share, since the closing of the $500 million investment from a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ford Financial Fund, L.P. on August 31, 2010. Net income for the year ended December 31, 2011, was $70.5 million, or $2.14 per diluted share.
Fourth Quarter Highlights
- Completed the early redemption of $35.0 million of outstanding subordinated debentures, resulting in a $4.7 million fourth quarter charge to noninterest expense, which eliminated an obligation that no longer fully qualified as Tier 2 capital value and will reduce interest expense by approximately $1.1 million in 2012. Including the redemption of subordinated debt, the Company has eliminated over $1.2 billion in wholesale funding since the recapitalization transaction;
- Ended the deferral of interest payments on Trust Preferred Securities and brought the obligations current;
- Delivered the fifth consecutive quarter of profitability following the successful recapitalization on August 31, 2010;
- Increased regulatory capital ratios to 12.4% and 20.2% for Tier 1 Leverage and Total Risk-Based Capital, respectively; and,
- Continued to execute the strategic plan to focus on core deposit growth, loan origination to commercial and private clients, and technology and operational infrastructure enhancements.
“We are very pleased with our achievements in the fourth quarter,” said Carl B. Webb, Chief Executive Officer of Pacific Capital Bancorp. “Our success in returning this outstanding community bank to profitability allowed us to move forward with the early redemption of our subordinated debt and end the deferral of interest payments on our trust preferred securities, both important milestones in our many months of progress.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV