The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (Insider Monkey) -- UBS Investment Research's report, "U.S. Morning Meeting Highlights," from January 13 discusses how stocks will be affected by the November elections. Analysts are of the opinion that Obama's victory would have a positive impact on "tech and industrial companies," whereas the "health care, financial, energy and consumer" companies will be negatively influenced due to tougher regulations. A republican victory, on the other hand, could prove to be beneficial for "universal banks, managed care, coal, defense and high-end consumer stocks."
Mattress Firm (MFRM) has been given a buy rating by UBS. Due to the economic downturn, the company has not been able to generate adequate sales to meet its previous records. However, it has set a target of around $1 million in sales per store for 2012. The idea of testing mall locations in Oklahoma is currently under consideration, as it may help the company in expanding, given favorable results are derived from this activity.UBS does not expect the firm to experience a shift in the product mix to specialty products; thereby, it should give a stable outcome for the year 2012. Shares of the company were trading around $26 per share at the time of the publication of this report and are expected to go north of $30 by the end of 2012. Its earnings-per-share estimate has also been revised upward to $1.2 for 2013. UBS seems on target with its predictions as the stock increased to $31.04 on Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV