Rating Change #2
Symantec Corp (SYMC) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SYMC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Software industry. The net income increased by 81.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $132.00 million to $240.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for SYMANTEC CORP is currently very high, coming in at 89.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, SYMC's net profit margin of 14.00% significantly trails the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Software industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, SYMANTEC CORP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
Symantec Corporation provides security, storage, and systems management solutions internationally. The company's Consumer segment delivers Internet security, PC tune-up, and online backup solutions and services to individual users and home offices. The company has a P/E ratio of 19.2, equal to the average computer software & services industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Symantec has a market cap of $12.44 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are up 9.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.You can view the full Symantec Ratings Report or get investment ideas from our investment research center.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV