NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With rumors Facebook may file to go public as soon as this week, people are speculating on how Facebook would use the cash. Acquisitions, international expansion, and perhaps expanding its mobile strategy could all be ways the social networking site spends its newfound wealth, said experts.
This initial public offering has long been awaited, and according to Scott Sweet, senior managing partner at IPO Boutique, "it will be the biggest Internet IPO in history and demand will be in the astronomical phase."
Facebook is expected to go public in the spring, with April to May being the conventional wisdom.
With the expected $10 billion IPO, in addition to the money Facebook has already raised in previous funding rounds, its cash hoard is significant enough to make it a major player in Silicon Valley."They've [Facebook] put it off this long because they don't need the cash," Bryan Keane, co-portfolio manager of the Alpine Global Consumer Growth Fund (AWCGX) said in an interview. When Google (GOOG) went public in 2004, it only raised $1.67 billion, which pales in comparison to the reported $10 billion Facebook may raise. Here are three ideas for what Facebook could do with the mountain of riches it may reap from its IPO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV