The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
BEIJING (TheStreet) -- One year ago, shares of Molycorp (MCP) and Rare Earth Elements (REE) were each up by several hundred percent in a few months due to an investor-buying frenzy for all things related to rare earths. Many investors piled into shares of tiny fluorite producer Shenzhou Mining (SHZ), which was trading below $1.
Within weeks, SHZ ran to over $10 -- a quick return of more than 1,000%. More stunning was the fact that SHZ wasn't even in the business of producing rare earths, it was just mistakenly lumped in with the sector. For a while the "greater fool theory" held and the stock continued to skyrocket, but once the party ended, shares of SHZ plunged back to $1 to $2. For those who piled in at the top, they are looking at potential losses of 80% to 90%.
We are seeing the exact same thing again with "social media" stocks. The hot stock driving the space is now the impending IPO of Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV