Valeant Pulls Ista Pharma Takeout Bid
Citing a lack of progress in negotiations, Valeant withdrew its $7.50-per-share cash offer for Ista, a maker of medicines to treat various eye conditions.
Shares of Ista were down just 5% to $7.60 in early Monday trading -- an indication that someone is buying the stock on the dip.
Valeant first went public with its unsolicited cash offer for Ista in December, valuing the company at $6.50 per share or $314 million. Ista balked, saying Valeant's price was too low. Valent then upped its bid to $7.50 per share or $360 million but said it would walk away unless progress on the acquisition was made by Jan. 31."As we stated last December, we were not interested in participating in a lengthy evaluation process and we are disappointed that the Ista team was not willing to fully explore our proposal by January 31," said Valeant CEO J. Michael Pearson, in a statement. "We continue to be disciplined on our M&A strategy and we are actively working on other opportunities that we believe can create value for our shareholders." Valeant shares closed Friday at $49.17 and were unchanged in early Monday trading. --Written by Adam Feuerstein in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV