By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
The mining company received a $1 billion acquisition offer from China Shandong Gold in November, valuing Jaguar at $9.30 a share and prompting a strategic process to explore alternatives. But Jaguar's CEO resigned in December, and the stock dipped back under $7 after the firm indicated that the review process may not end in a definite transaction.
Option activity has been interesting in the last month and really lit up Friday morning. Traders were buying the June 8 calls for 80 cents while selling the June 10 calls for 15 cents. This call-spread traded more than 5,000 times.The position allows traders to buy Jaguar shares for $8 but obligates them to sell it for $10 if the stock goes above that level. The bet cost 65 cents, so they'll earn more than 200% if the stock rallies to $10 or higher. Traders use this type of "vertical spread" -- buying calls at the lower strike and selling the higher strike -- to offset the cost of establishing the position, though it limits upside potential. Jaguar's stock rose 1.68% to $7.28 on Friday and is up 15% in the last month as buyers return to the gold-mining space in general. More than 13,000 Jaguar calls traded versus just 1,300 puts in the session, a reflection of the bullish sentiment. Total option volume was nearly five times average levels. Najarian has no positions in JAG.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV