NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Jim Cramer fills his blog on RealMoney every day with his up-to-the-minute reactions to what's happening in the market and his legendary ahead-of-the-crowd ideas. This week he blogged on:
- why you ignore Goldman at your own peril;
- the bubbling deals among chemical companies; and
- how recent investment certainties have shifted dramatically.
Click here for information on RealMoney, where you can see all the blogs, including Jim Cramer's -- and reader comments -- in real time.
Goldman Sachs Can't Be IgnoredPosted at 3:50 p.m. EST on Friday, Jan. 27. This move in Goldman Sachs (GS) can't be ignored any longer. The stock has been galloping toward its book value of $119 ever since it reported. It withstood a gigantic downgrade by JP Morgan this week, which said it may have capital issues and is certainly earnings challenged. Yet, there's a story today about how Goldman owns a big chunk of Facebook. The company might be part of the deal. There are two pieces of business that weren't in the cards when we started thinking about the first quarter of 2012. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Plus, we know that Goldman Sachs has made it very clear that it is not going to lose all that much -- if anything -- if Greece goes under. I think Goldman is in the sweet spot. It saved tens of millions of dollars by having partners retire. These retirements are immediately additive. Plus, I think that the compensation for the younger people is quite different from what it was when I was there. You aren't going to make as much money as you thought in those first couple of years. I believe people will be pleasantly surprised when they see the rest of the year unfold. There will be new business lines we don't know about, initiatives that make money that aren't in the numbers, and the hoopla over the changes mandated from Washington will have died down. Don't overlook the possibility of Goldman Sachs taking advantage of the vacuum that the European banks are giving them by pulling back and dumping good divisions. It might be Goldman's time -- just when it is most hated. Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV