NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Delta Airlines (DAL) is reportedly looking to gobble up some of its competition.
According to The Wall Street Journal, the company is doing its homework on possibly making a bid to acquire US Airways (LCC), according to unnamed "people familiar with the matter."
The Journal article said AMR Corp., the parent company of American Airlines that filed for bankruptcy protection in late November, could also end up a target of Delta, which is said to be working with Goldman Sachs (GS) and Blackstone Group (BX) as advisers.
Delta has yet to approach US Airways, the article said, as it's still mulling which deal makes the most sense for it from a strategic standpoint and which is more attractive from a regulatory standpoint.Shares of Delta closed at $10.39, up 2.2%, while US Airways' stock finished at $8.18, enjoying a gain of 4.2% on the day. AMR, which now trades on the Pink Sheets, last transacted at 69 cents. US Airways' shares are down 23% in the past year, while Delta's stock is off 14%. --Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV