NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Russell 2000 index has enjoyed a gangbusters start in 2012 but, with correlation on the wane over the past few months, investors need to be in the right names to participate.
Correlation, basically the percentage of individual stocks that move in the same direction as their respective indexes, was a big theme in 2011 as everything seemed to swing in the same direction on a day-to-day basis, making picking individual stocks nearly a moot point.
Credit Suisse though noted on Friday that there's been some serious decoupling going on among the small caps with correlation among Russell 2000 stocks falling from 74% in early September 2011 to just 20% as of late January.
"This hasn't helped small cap fund managers much -- fewer than half of small cap funds are outperforming their benchmarks over the past 3 months and in early 2012," the firm said. "The decline in correlations has come alongside a decline in small cap ETF volumes, but has accelerated as 4Q11 earnings reporting season has come into view. In the past, small cap correlations have often come down once reporting season has picked up."Through Thursday, the Russell 2000 was up 7% year-to-date vs. a 4.6% gain for the S&P 500, 4.2% appreciation for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, and 8.2% for the Nasdaq Composite (Thank you Apple (AAPL)!). One strategy for investing in small caps is trying to figure out which ones will be snapped up in deals. Earlier in the week, Bank of America Merrill Lynch said it expects M&A activity in the group, which is generally understood to include public companies with market caps below $2 billion, to accelerate this year. "Absolute valuations are attractive with forward P/E
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV