Mitt Romney's 6 Homes
La Jolla, Calif., beachfront property
When Romney bought his $12 million La Jolla home in 2008, he told the media he wanted to be somewhere where he could "hear the waves." Apparently a home on the high-priced California coast, (median La Jolla home values hit $1 million), was the right location.
It may be the ideal location, but it isn't quite the ideal home, at least not yet. In August, Romney filed an application with the city to bulldoze the single-story beachfront home and replace it with a larger, two-story home. A representative for the politician explained: "[The Romneys] want to enlarge their two-bedroom home because with five married sons and 16 grandchildren it is inadequate for their needs."
The renovation wouldn't begin until after the campaign, the rep said.
Romney's recent real estate purchase is the most modest on the list. In June 2010, he and Ann bought a 2-bedroom townhouse in suburban Belmont. According to property listing information, the Romneys paid $895,000 for the 2,100-square-foot home in the new residential development The Woodlands. Since selling their Belmont mansion, this is the first property the Romneys owned in the Boston area in two years. Previously, they claimed a basement apartment in their eldest son's home as their legal Massachusetts address. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV