Gold for February delivery added $5.50 to settle at $1,732.20 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,734.80 and as low as $1,714.20 an ounce while the spot price was adding $13, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices rose 4 cents to close at $33.79 an ounce while the U.S. dollar index was down 0.61% at $78.92 on disappointing fourth quarter growth numbers in the U.S. News that Fitch downgrade the credit ratings of Spain, Italy, Belgium, Cyprus and Slovenia was not even enough to push the euro lower against the dollar.
"Support is at $1,700," says George Gero, senior vice president at RBC Capital Markets, "and resistance is at $1,775 an ounce." Despite the euphoria gold has been experiencing since the Fed's interest rate announcement, some experts are sounding warning signs. Jon Nadler, senior analyst at Kitco.com, is watching the dollar. "It didn't take a huge hit in the wake of this announcement as one would have expected it to have," says Nadler. He is also speculating that the Fed could still raise interest rates sooner than the end of 2014. "Much like the European Central Bank guessed wrong in raising
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV