BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) â¿¿ A Montana precious metals mine received 27 citations in recent safety inspections triggered by the death of a worker.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration says 11 of the citations issued to Stillwater Mining Co. were for significant violations of mine safety regulations.
Forty-two-year-old Dale Madson was killed at Stillwater's platinum and palladium mine near Nye in October. Madson crashed while driving a piece of equipment 1,200 feet underground.
Subsequent problems found by inspectors range from spilled fuel that could pose a fire hazard and loose rocks that could fall on miners, to a secondary escape route that was padlocked shut.MSHA increased inspections at mines with a poor compliance history after a 2010 explosion killed 29 men in West Virginia's Upper Big Branch mine. ___ Online: MSHA: http://1.usa.gov/yEy8k2
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV