Company profile: Canadian Pacific provides freight transportation over a 15,000-mile railway network serving Canada, as well as the U.S. Midwest and Northeast. It transports bulk commodities, including grain, coal, and fertilizers, as well as cars and auto parts.
Investor takeaway: S&P analysts recently downgraded it to "hold" from "buy" on a valuation basis. But railroads are one of Warren Buffett's favorite industries.If you want to indirectly play North American shale oil fields, try this stock or Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.B). It bought railroad Burlington Northern Santa Fe last year for $27 billion and it is geared to take advantage of the oil-fields boom, which has recently been boosted by the Obama administration's decision to reject TransCanada's (TRP) plan to build the Keystone XL oil pipeline, making rail the default transport.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV