8. First Republic Bank
San Francisco- based First Republic (FRC) also had a record year, posting a net income of $352 million in 2011.
The bank saw a 20% increase in loan volume, even as it maintained high credit quality. Non performing assets account for about 11 basis points.The bank's return on assets improved from 1.33% in 2010 to 1.41% in 2011. The management attributes its profitability to its focused business model. "We are in well-established lines of businesses and operate in a limited number of urban coastal markets which we understand and know very well," CEO Jim Herbert said in a conference call. "In short, First Republic is a simple, almost one of a kind entity. A traditional bank focused intently on a few core businesses but with very modern delivery." First Republic has solid capital ratios, with Tier I Capital ratio oat 13.36% and Tier 1 Risk-based Capital ratio of 13.81%. The stock trades at 11 times forward earnings. Two analysts rate the stock a buy or outperform, while 7 rate it a hold.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV