9. Commerce Bancshares
Kansas City- based Commerce Bancshares (CBSH) reported record earnings in 2011, as it witnessed strong growth in core deposits, improving credit quality and higher auto and commercial real estate loans.
Net income amounted to $256.3 million in 2011 compared to $221.7 million in 2010, or an increase of 15.6%.The return on average assets was 1.34% in 2011, up from 1.22% in 2010. The stock, which was among the top performers in the banking sector in 2011, is up about 3% so far in 2012. The bank has about $20 billion in assets and a tangible common equity ratio of 9.72% as of the end of 2011. The stock trades at 14.5 times on-year forward earnings, which explains why most analysts seem more inclined to a hold rating than a buy. Only one analyst currently has a buy rating on the stock, while 11 have a hold rating and 2 have a sell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV