Red Hat (RHT), one of TheStreet Rating's top-rated software stocks, is a software application company that provides services and solutions for open source platforms such as Linux. Open source software is free and available to anyone who desires to avail themselves of its use.
Of course, there is a catch. You need to develop and maintain your own proprietary programs. This is sort of like the alarm company that provides free wiring and hardware but requires you to pay for the monitoring of the service.
Linux is one of the most popular and redistributed software programs around the world and is used in mobile phones, tablet computers, video games, supercomputers and desktops. Red Hat has grown rather consistently at a 15% to 20% annual rate, which places its valuation at the high end of reasonable. What has me concerned is that analysts do not expect as rosy a year in 2012 for the company. As a result, the company's stock faces potential P/E contraction.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV