New Jersey-based data management company CommVault Systems (CVLT) operates in a very hot sector, cloud computing. CommVault Systems has strategic relationships with other publically held companies such as Dell (DELL), Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Microsoft (MSFT), Network Appliances (NTAP), VMware (VMW) and Oracle (ORCL).
Cloud computing is all the rage right now, but it will deliver the same disappointments as did prior promising technologies such as dotcoms in the 1990s, solar energy, nano tech and VOIP. Cloud computing stocks will likely surge and then crater -- and some have already begun to do so, such as Saleforce.com (CRM), one of those high-PEG stocks I said to avoid last summer. Competition in this space will become even fiercer, forcing pricing and margins to collapse.
I have written before to be cautious of stocks with very high levels of realized volatility. CommVault Systems has a one-year historical volatility of 50.59. This is more than twice that of the Power Shares QQQ Trust (QQQ), a tech-heavy indexed ETF.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV