2. McDonald's Twitter Tragedy
Poor McDonald's (MCD). One would think the restaurant that serves billions of burgers could easily dish up a few lousy tweets. Right?
Earlier this week the fast food giant launched its first ever Twitter-based campaign to promote its farm fresh ingredients, offering the hashtags, #McDStories and #meetthe farmers. Unfortunately, after a few supportive posts, a storm of negative Twitter users took over the conversation and quickly made Ronald and Co. look like a bunch of clowns.Included among the more tasteless tweets: "I only eat McDonald's when I am ill because it makes me feel sick anyway. #McDStories." "Paid for my food but almost left cause I was high and convinced that the workers called the cops and were using my food as bait. #McDStories." "These #McDStories never get old, kinda like a box of McDonald's 10 piece Chicken McNuggets left in the sun for a week. #McDStories." Ouch! That's harsh enough to make Grimace grimace! Or even turn the Hamburglar straight! Yep, it got pretty McUgly, and within about two hours McDonald's yanked the #McDStories hashtag, saying that the effort "did not go as planned." "As Twitter continues to evolve its platform and engagement opportunities, we're learning from our experiences," said Rick Wion, McDonald's social media director, in a statement. Yep, Mickey Dee's brass wound up looking like a bunch of twits this week. And while they may not be enjoying it too much, to be honest, we're lovin' it!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV