PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) â¿¿ Precision Castparts Corp. said Thursday that its fiscal third-quarter net income rose nearly 20 percent on recent acquisitions and strength in its aerospace business, but the results fell short of analysts' expectations.
Shares of the company, based in Portland, Ore., dipped in trading on the news.
The metal parts maker said that it earned $307.3 million, or $2.11 per share, for the quarter that ended Jan. 1. That's up from $256.5 million, or $1.78 per share, for the same period last year.
Total revenue rose by 14 percent to $1.82 billion, with gains across all its business lines. But the company reported notably strong revenue increases from its fastener business, due to recent acquisitions, and aerospace sales, due in part to production for the Boeing 787.The company said its margins shrank due to higher costs, which ate into its profitability for the period. Analysts polled by FactSet anticipated the company would earn $2.38 per share for the quarter on revenue of $2.04 billion. Analysts anticipated the company would earn $2.21 per share for the quarter on revenue of $1.91 billion, according to FactSet. Precision Castparts CEO Mark Donegan said that the quarter provides a look at what is possible for the company in the future. "Moving forward, the issue is strictly one of timing," Donegan said. "The contracts are in place. The capacity is in place. As the orders pick up, and we move the product through our factories, our results will improve even further. We have plenty of opportunity for improvement in all of our operations," Shares of Precision Castparts fell $5.45, or 3.1 percent, to $170.83 by midday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV