Meanwhile, plenty of investors have been paying attention to Lockheed Martin (LMT) lately, but not for good reasons. With a market capitalization of $26.5 billion, Lockheed is the largest publicly traded company with a short interest ratio above 10. That number means that shorting in Lockheed is so concentrated that it would take more than two weeks of buying for short sellers to close their positions at current volume levels.
But that short squeeze scenario is made even more interesting when you look at Lockheed's chart. This stock has been locked in an uptrending channel since August, locked between dynamic resistance and support levels. Lately, LMT has been testing trendline resistance -- a breakout above that level could point to an acceleration of this stock's uptrend. In other words, it could trigger some serious pain for short sellers.
Barring that breakout, a trade with significant potential comes on LMT's next bounce higher off of trendline support. When that happens, look to buy shares as they climb back up the channel. I think we'll see one of those scenarios play out when Lockheed announces its fourth-quarter earnings this afternoon -- wait for the announcement before taking a position in this defense stock.Lockheed, one of the top-yielding aerospace and defense stocks, shows up on a recent list of 5 Safe, High-Dividend-Yielding Stocks. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV