The carrier said fourth quarter net income was $23 million, or 8 cents a share. Analysts had estimated 3 cents a share. Revenue totaled $1.1 billion.
In the same quarter a year earlier, JetBlue earned $8 million, or 3 cents a share.
"JetBlue's solid fourth-quarter results capped a very good year for JetBlue," said CEO Dave Barger, in a prepared statement. "Throughout 2011, we executed on our network strategy in key markets such as Boston and the Caribbean, resulting in record revenue performance. At the same time, we maintained our focus on cost control while running an efficient operation, which helped mitigate the impact of rising fuel prices."During the quarter, passenger revenue per available seat mile increased 11.8% to 11.05 cents. On the cost side, cost per available seat mile excluding fuel fell 1.5% to 6.85 cents. Looking ahead, JetBlue said its first-quarter capacity will increase between 9.5% and 11.5%, while full-year capacity will gain between 5.5% and 7.5% even though most competitors are either reducing capacity or planning very limited growth. For the full year, JetBlue reported net income of $86 million, or 28 cents a share, compared with $97 million, or 31 cents a share, for 2010. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV