- Shares of Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) closed at $7.25 Monday, rising 30% year-to-date, but with a negative five-year total return of 84%. As the company has struggled to digest its disastrous purchase of Countrywide Financial in 2008, Bank of America has posted net losses for two of the past five quarters, and its highest ROA over the past year was 1.08% in the third quarter, when the bottom line reflected numerous one-time pre-tax items, including $4.5 billion in positive fair value adjustments on structured liabilities, Debit valuation adjustments (DVA) of $1.7 billion, a $3.6 billion gain from the sale of shares in China Construction Bank, and on the negative side, $2.2 billion in investment write-downs.
- JPMorgan's shares were up 14% year-to-date to close Monday at $37.66. The stock's five-year total return was a negative 16%. Over the past five quarters, JPMorgan's ROA has ranged from 0.66% to 1.06%.
- Citigroup's (C - Get Report) shares closed Monday at $29.85, rising 13% year-to-date, but with a very painful negative five-year total return of 94%. The company's ROA has ranged from 0.25% to 0.76% over the past five quarters.
- Wells Fargo (WFC - Get Report) has been the gold standard among the "big four," with an ROA ranging between 1.13% and 1.30% over the past five quarters. The shares closed at $30.92 Monday, rising 12% year-to-date, but the five-year total return was a negative 3%.
10 Buy Rated Regional Bank Stocks (Update 3)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.