With $97.6 billion in cash and cash equivalents at the end of the quarter, Apple sits atop a huge pile of money. Comments from CEO Tim Cook last year that he was "not religious" about holding Apple's cash, had initially kicked off speculation that a dividend or share buyback could materialize.
Critics of a dividend, however, argue that there are far better ways for Apple to use its cash, pointing to the company's return on equity, need for innovation, and potential future acquisitions.
Apple faced repeated questions about its cash haul during the conference call to discuss its first-quarter results late on Tuesday, but gave little away. The company is "actively discussing uses of its cash balance", noted Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's chief financial officer, but said that the tech giant had nothing to announce.Tell us what you think about Apple's cash strategy:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV