Return on Equity
Apple has a return on equity (ROE) of 41.67% according to Yahoo! Finance, highlighting the company's massive profitability. It means that of every dollar Apple invests, it earns 41.67 cents in profit.
Other tech heavyweights pale in comparison to Apple's impressive ROE. Google (GOOG), for example, has an ROE of just 18.66%, while Research In Motion (RIMM), and HP (HPQ) come in at 21.43% and 17.73%, respectively.One theory behind paying a dividend, of course, is that the company cannot find a better use for its cash, and as such, must return it to shareholders. This, however, is not the case at Apple. Ironfire Capital's Eric Jackson said Apple has had a "phenomenal" return on its research and development dollars, especially when compared to software behemoth Microsoft (MSFT). "I think Apple could make the argument that a high ROE is its way of saying it knows what is best for its cash." Jackson is long shares of Apple.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV