Return on Equity
Apple has a return on equity (ROE) of 41.67% according to Yahoo! Finance, highlighting the company's massive profitability. It means that of every dollar Apple invests, it earns 41.67 cents in profit.
Other tech heavyweights pale in comparison to Apple's impressive ROE. Google (GOOG), for example, has an ROE of just 18.66%, while Research In Motion (RIMM), and HP (HPQ) come in at 21.43% and 17.73%, respectively.One theory behind paying a dividend, of course, is that the company cannot find a better use for its cash, and as such, must return it to shareholders. This, however, is not the case at Apple. Ironfire Capital's Eric Jackson said Apple has had a "phenomenal" return on its research and development dollars, especially when compared to software behemoth Microsoft (MSFT). "I think Apple could make the argument that a high ROE is its way of saying it knows what is best for its cash." Jackson is long shares of Apple.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV