"While investors had been expecting some good news in the form of a mortgage settlement and the ability to put the issue in the past, this announcement suggests that investigations into banks' practices related to securitizing residential mortgages is unlikely to end any time soon, " KBW analysts wrote.
The SPDR Select Sector Financials ETF was down 0.6% Wednesday morning. Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Wells Fargo (WFC) and Citigroup (C), who are engaged in mortgage settlement negotiations, all saw their shares dip by more than 1% in early trading.
--Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV