The company said its joint ventures had a very bad fourth quarter. It had to absorb a large loss from problems at both handset-maker Sony Ericsson and ST-Ericsson, while sales also slowed in the United States.
Ericsson reached an agreement in October to sell its stake in Sony Ericsson to Sony for $1.47 billion. The company said its fourth-quarter loss won't affect the price of the sale, though Ericsson will most likely report less capital gains from it.
Groupon (GRPN) is trending as the coupon Web site has partnered with SmartDigital, a maker of interactive touchscreen kiosks. Groupon plans to offer its deals and coupons through SmartDigital kiosks in various locations. The deals will begin appearing Wednesday in over 100 kiosks in heavily-trafficked Chicago areas, including Navy Pier and Water Tower Place, over the next 90 days. Groupon plans to follow the Chicago kiosks with similar deals in New York and Miami.
Apple (AAPL) is another popular search as the company has officially become the largest computer maker, surpassing Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) in both computer sales and revenue. Apple, selling more iPads alone than HP sold PCs, reported a record quarterly sale of 15.4 million iPads and 5.2 million Macs. HP reportedly sold 14.7 million PCs over the same time period. Apple also beat Lenovo and Dell (DELL), which sold 12.9 million and 11.6 million units, respectively. Instead of lowering iPad prices to compete with lower-priced tablets on the market like Amazon's Kindle Fire, the company said it plans to continue to innovate the iPad. Apple CEO Tim Cook reiterated his belief that iPads will one day take over PCs.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google, Yahoo! and other search sites) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on the Web, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Written by Brittany Umar.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV