Greene County Bancorp, Inc. (the “Company”) (NASDAQ: GCBC), the holding company for The Bank of Greene County and its subsidiary Greene County Commercial Bank, today reported net income for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2011, which is the second quarter of the Company’s fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. Net income for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2011 totaled $3.0 million, or $0.72 per basic and diluted share, and $1.5 million, or $0.36 per basic and diluted share, respectively, as compared to $2.7 million, or $0.65 per basic and $0.64 per diluted share, and $1.4 million, or $0.33 per basic and $0.32 per diluted share, for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2010, respectively, an increase of $328,000, or 12.3%, and $143,000, or 10.6% for these same periods in the prior year.
Donald E. Gibson, President & CEO stated: “We are pleased to report a continuation of our strong performance. The Bank’s return on average equity for the six months ended December 31, 2011 was 12.20% and return on average assets was 1.09%. We remain focused on increasing shareholder value through quality growth and diligent cost controls.”
Selected highlights for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2011 are as follows:
- Net interest income increased $730,000 to $10.4 million for the six months ended December 31, 2011 compared to $9.7 million for the six months ended December 31, 2010, and increased $328,000 to $5.2 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2011 compared to $4.9 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2010. The increase in average balances of loans and securities, along with a decrease in rates paid on deposit accounts, primarily led to an increase in net interest income for the six months and quarter- ended December 31, 2011 compared to the six months and quarter-ended December 31, 2010.
- Net interest spread increased 4 basis points to 3.79% for the six months ended December 31, 2011 from 3.75% for the six months ended December 31, 2010, and increased 11 basis points to 3.76% for the six months ended December 31, 2011 from 3.65% for the quarter ended December 31, 2010. Net interest margin remained constant at 3.92% for the six months ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, and increased 8 basis points to 3.88% for the quarter ended December 31, 2011 as compared to 3.80% for the quarter ended December 31, 2010. The increases in our spread and margin were primarily due to the growth in deposits, and the lower costs of total deposits.
- The provision for loan losses totaled $896,000 and $836,000 for the six months ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, an increase of $60,000, or 7.2%. The provision for loan losses totaled $422,000 and $483,000 for the quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively.
- The allowance for loan losses totaled $5.6 million at December 31, 2011 compared to $4.6 million at December 31, 2010. The allowance for loan losses totaled $5.1 million at June 30, 2011. The level of allowance for loan losses to total loans receivable increased to 1.77% at December 31, 2011 as compared to 1.55% at December 31, 2010, and 1.66% at June 30, 2011.
- Net charge-offs totaled $348,000 and $211,000 for the six months ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, an increase of $137,000.
- Nonperforming loans increased by $922,000, or 14.6%, to $7.2 million at December 31, 2011 from $6.3 million at June 30, 2011. This growth has resulted from adverse changes in the economy and increases in local unemployment compounded by the extended length of time required to complete the foreclosure process in New York State.
- Noninterest income decreased $39,000 and $153,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively. Noninterest income totaled $2.4 million and $1.2 million for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2011, respectively. The Company recorded a net gain on sale of investments during the quarter ended December 31, 2010 of $212,000, and a net gain on sale of investments during the six months ended December 31, 2011 of $11,000. Excluding these items, noninterest income increased $162,000 and $59,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively. These increases were primarily the result of higher service charges on deposit accounts and higher debit card fees due to growth in the number of deposit accounts.
- Noninterest expense increased $181,000 and $51,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively. This increase was primarily due to an increase in legal and professional fees, service and data processing fees, equipment and furniture expense, computer software, supplies & support, and other expenses. The increase in legal and professional fees of $90,000 and $67,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, were related to loans in process of foreclosure and increased fees for consulting services related to the implementation of strategic objectives. Included in the increases in service and data processing fees of $72,000 and $44,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively, were increased costs associated with the increase in the number of debit card accounts. The increase in other expenses was the result of the recognition of a loss on foreclosed assets of $131,500 and $81,500 for the six months and quarter ended December 31, 2011. These increases were partially offset by decreases in FDIC insurance premiums of $129,000 and $76,000 when comparing the six months and quarters ended December 31, 2011 and 2010, respectively. The decrease in FDIC insurance premiums was the result of regulatory changes in the method of calculating the premiums.
- Total assets of the Company were $559.6 million at December 31, 2011 compared to $547.5 million at June 30, 2011, an increase of $12.1 million, or 2.2%.
- Securities available for sale and held to maturity totaled $206.0 million, or 36.8% of assets, at December 31, 2011, as compared to $214.3 million, or 39.1% of assets, at June 30, 2011, a decrease of $8.3 million, or 3.9%.
- Net loans grew by $10.8 million, or 3.6%, to $311.8 million at December 31, 2011 compared to $301.0 million at June 30, 2011. The increase in loans was primarily in nonresidential real estate and commercial installment loans, which generally carry higher yields than residential real estate loans.
- Total deposits increased to $494.0 million at December 31, 2011 from $469.9 million at June 30, 2011, an increase of $24.1 million, or 5.1%. This increase was primarily the result of an $13.3 million increase in balances at the Company’s Commercial Bank subsidiary due primarily to the annual collection of taxes by several local school districts.
- As a result of the increase in deposits, the Company repaid its overnight borrowings with the Federal Home Loan Bank. Borrowings decreased $14.3 million from $26.3 million at June 30, 2011 to $12.0 million at December 31, 2011.
- Total shareholders’ equity was $50.6 million at December 31, 2011, or 9.1% of total assets.
Headquartered in Catskill, New York, the Company provides full-service community-based banking in its twelve branch offices located in Greene, Columbia and Albany Counties. Customers are offered 24-hour services through ATM network systems, an automated telephone banking system and Internet Banking through its web site at http://www.tbogc.com.This press release contains statements about future events that constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such a difference include, but are not limited to, general economic conditions, changes in interest rates, regulatory considerations, competition, technological developments, retention and recruitment of qualified personnel, and market acceptance of the Company’s pricing, products and services.
|At or for the Six||At or for the Three|
|Months Ended December 31,||Months Ended December 31,|
|Dollars In thousands, except share and per share data|
|Net interest income||10,422||9,692||5,223||4,895|
|Provision for loan losses||896||836||422||483|
|Income before taxes||4,522||4,072||2,241||2,056|
|Weighted average shares outstanding||4,146,965||4,125,619||4,148,102||4,129,939|
|Weighted average diluted shares outstanding||4,190,187||4,157,903||4,190,211||4,163,333|
|Dividends declared per share 2||$0.350||$0.550||$0.175||$0.375|
|Selected Financial Ratios|
|Return on average assets||1.09%||1.04%||1.07%||1.01%|
|Return on average equity||12.20%||11.76%||11.98%||11.79%|
|Net interest rate spread||3.79%||3.75%||3.76%||3.65%|
|Net interest margin||3.92%||3.92%||3.88%||3.80%|
|Efficiency ratio 1||57.82%||59.61%||58.59%||59.41%|
|Non-performing assets to total assets||1.35%||1.16%|
|Non-performing loans to net loans||2.31%||2.01%|
|Allowance for loan losses to non-performing loans||77.83%||77.99%|
|Allowance for loan losses to total loans||1.77%||1.55%|
|Shareholders’ equity to total assets||9.05%||8.64%|
|Dividend payout ratio 2||48.61%||84.62%|
|Book value per share||$12.20||$11.10|
|As of December 31, 2011||As of June 30, 2011|
|Dollars In thousands|
|Total cash and cash equivalents||$20,055||$9,966|
|Securities- available for sale, at fair value||77,235||90,117|
|Securities- held to maturity, at amortized cost||128,748||124,177|
|Federal Home Loan Bank stock, at cost||1,273||1,916|
|Gross loans receivable||317,041||305,620|
|Less: Allowance for loan losses||(5,617)||(5,069)|
|Unearned origination fees and costs, net||410||495|
|Net loans receivable||311,834||301,046|
|Premises and equipment||15,044||15,407|
|Accrued interest receivable||2,714||2,716|
|Foreclosed real estate||361||443|
|Prepaid expenses and other assets||2,319||1,737|
|Liabilities and shareholders’ equity|
|Noninterest bearing deposits||$53,766||$49,313|
|Interest bearing deposits||440,203||420,584|
|Borrowings from FHLB, short term||---||14,300|
|FHLB borrowings, long term||12,000||12,000|
|Accrued expenses and other liabilities||2,993||3,247|
|Total shareholders’ equity||50,621||48,081|
|Total liabilities and shareholders’ equity||$559,583||$547,525|
|Common shares outstanding||4,150,228||4,145,828|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV