Last up this week is MasterCard (MA), the payment processing giant that's been exhibiting significant relative strength for the past year -- shares have rallied 45% in the trailing 12 months (and was one of the best-performing S&P 500 stocks of 2011). While MA has slid lower in 2012, this stock could be presenting longs with an optimal entry opportunity.
That's because MasterCard is currently locked in an uptrending channel, a range that's bounded by dynamic support and resistance. In an uptrending channel, the optimal entry comes on a bounce off of trend line support -- it's an opportunity for traders to buy on a low-risk entry, and then ride MA as it makes its way up the channel to trend line resistance.
Keep in mind that trend lines do ultimately fail -- that's why it's important to actually wait or a bounce off of support before buying. For a high probability trade in MasterCard, we'll want to see that support level get confirmed before it makes sense to take a position in this stock.MasterCard, rated A+ buy by TheStreet Ratings, shows up on a recent list of 21 Stock Picks That Experts Agree On. I also recently featured it in "5 Tech Sector Stocks Funds Love." To see these plays in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio at Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV