Research in Motion
There have been a lot of eyes on Research in Motion (RIMM) lately. Shares of the BlackBerry maker have gotten shellacked in the last 12 months, falling more than 74% while peers rallied on increased mobile device sales. The market didn't react well to yesterday's management shakeup, pushing RIMM another 8.47% lower by the session's close.
So where does this stock go from here?
Not up. Ignore the obvious downtrend in RIMM for a minute and take a look at this stock's price action for the last two months and change. Shares attempted to rally in early December, hitting their head on $18 resistance. Then, last week, shares topped at that same $18 level.The presence of those two swing tops makes RIMM a potential double-top right now, despite the fact that shares are already near the bottom of their downtrend. There's a high probability trade in the move down to support (the dashed line). A breakdown below the dashed line in the chart above makes an even stronger bear case. The 50-day moving average is a good place for a protective stop. Research In Motion, rated C- hold by TheStreet Ratings, shows up on a list of 6 Tech Stocks to Avoid in 2012 and was also featured in " 5 Big Surprise Stock Losers of 2011."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV