First up this week is integrated energy giant ConocoPhillips (COP). With crude prices on the rise in recent weeks, ConocoPhillips has been a major beneficiary -- after all, as the market price for crude ratchets higher, so do COP's margins.
All told, shares are up double digits from their October lows; a bullish setup in shares indicates that more upside may be on the way.
Right now, ConocoPhillips is forming an ascending triangle pattern, a bullish formation that's identified by a horizontal resistance level to the upside and uptrending support below shares. Essentially, as COP's price bounces in between those two technically-significant price levels, shares are getting squeezed against that $74 resistance level. That increases the probability of a breakout to the upside.Uptrending momentum, as measured by 14-day RSI, provides some additional assurance over the setup in this stock. The actual buy signal comes when shares push above $74. When that happens, I'd recommend a protective stop just below the 50-day moving average. Conoco is one of TheStreet Ratings' top-rated oil and gas stocks, with a B buy rating, and is one of Warren Buffett's holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV