Celebrity Ex-Cons: America's Amoral Fascination
The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What do Jack Abramoff, Vaclav Havel, Nelson Mandela and Aung-San-Suu-Kyi have in common? To start, they are all ex-con celebrities who have written books with a political freedom theme. For all of them, prison followed their perspectives on political freedoms. Only Jack Abramoff was jailed for abusing these freedoms, for example by teaching his clients "how Washington worked." The others wanted to sample freedoms, like those Americans take for granted. They would never have thought of perverting the precious gift of protected freedoms.
All too were obsessed with political corruption, but it was only Abramoff that was obsessed with profiting from corruption. The others lived to tell the sordid tale of politicians who placed personal wealth ahead of national wealth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV