HOPKINTON, Mass. ( TheStreet) -- Storage maker EMC (EMC) posted record fourth-quarter revenue and profit, powered by a push in cloud computing. It was the latest technology company to report strong results.
EMC, which reported its results in the wake of strong numbers from IBM (IBM), Microsoft (MSFT), Intel (INTC) and Texas Instruments (TXN), brought in consolidated revenue of $5.6 billion, an increase of 14% from a year earlier and just above analysts' estimate of $5.57 billion.
Excluding items, EMC earned 49 cents a share on net income of $1.07 billion, gains of 17% and 16%, respectively. The company's earnings were in line with Wall Street's estimates.
For the full year, EMC had revenue of $20 billion, a hike of 18%, and also in line with analysts' estimates."EMC had a strong and record-breaking 2011," said Joe Tucci, the EMC CEO, in a statement. "There's no doubt that cloud computing is completely transforming the IT industry and that Big Data promises to have a similarly profound effect on transforming the way we work and live." "Big Data" refers to large volume, loosely structured data that could be generated, for example, in areas such as Web Search, and has become something of an EMC mantra in recent years. For the coming fiscal year, EMC expects revenue of $22 billion, in line with analysts' estimate of $22.02 billion. Investors responded positively to the fourth-quarter and guidance, pushing EMC's shares up 61 cents, or 2.6%, to $24.05 in pre-market trading. --Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV