Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon attributed the rise in claims to "timing differences," adding "we don't expect a real change in that."
JPMorgan CFO Douglas Braunstein said of the bank expects GSE-related mortgage bond disputes "we're working through that and would expect to be through that in 2012."
The executives did not address their exposure to non-GSE mortgage bond disputes other than to say they do not believe they are responsible for mortgages underwritten by Washington Mutual, which JPMorgan acquired in a government-assisted deal in 2008.SunTrust executives said the increase in repurchase requests was "entirely due to agency related demands, most notably from 2007 vintage Fannie Mae loans." They added that, as in previous quarters, the issues related chiefly to "borrower misrepresentation or issues with appraisals." According to SunTrust executives, the demands "have been more concentrated in loans that have already been through the foreclosure process." Recent requests for loan files, however, have been more skewed toward loans that are delinquent but not yet in foreclosure. "This suggests to us that the agencies are working through the backlog of demands from prior years, which indicates that the demand increase in Q4 could be an acceleration of timing rather than growth in the overall population," the SunTrust executives said. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV